Cause of Hotel Fire Determined

Cause of Edwards Hotel fire determined to be a failed refrigerator motor. (Photo from Sheridan Media files)

Last week's fire at the Edwards Hotel on Main Street was caused by the mechanical failure of a motor in a refrigerator.

Sheridan Fire Chief Gary Harnish explained.

Harnish said the fire started in a room occupied by the sole victim of the blaze, a man identified earlier this week as Allen Barker of Sheridan. No other deaths or injuries were reported.

The fire chief said there was damage from the fire throughout the upper floors of the hotel.

The fire was called to Sheridan firefighters shortly after 8:30 p.m. last Wednesday, Feb. 20, initially as a smoke investigation. Firefighter Andy Lindberg said in an earlier interview that by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was visible.

Six units from Sheridan Fire and Rescue responded to the call, along with three units from the Goose Valley Volunteer Fire Department and three units from Rocky Mountain Ambulance. Sheridan police and personnel from the Sheridan County Sheriff's Department also assisted at the scene.

Another view of the hotel fire. (Photo from Sheridan Media files)