Health Officials Issue Radon Warning

Posted in

Because January is designated as National Radon Action Month, the manager of the state department of health’s Comprehensive Cancer Control Program is encouraging state residents to test their homes for gas emissions.

Department manager Julie Tarbuck says radon, which is an invisible, odorless, tasteless and dangerous gas that comes from the element radium found in rocks, soils and water, can seep up into your home then get trapped inside and build in intensity.

In a release from the department, she says all homes have radon, but an elevated level poses a health risk. We’ll be talking with a representative from the department later this morning, so stay tuned to find out how to test your home for the dangerous gas and protect your family from radon poisoning.

Symptoms of poisoning, according to the National Radon Defense website, resemble those of lung cancer: a persistent cough, difficulty breathing, chest pains, wheezing, hoarseness and respiratory infections like pneumonia or bronchitis. In some cases, according to information provided on the site, long-term exposure to radon can lead to lung cancer, which is the only cancer proven to be associated with inhaling the gas.