School District 1 to Have Dedicated School Resource Officers

Sheridan County School District 1 will have dedicated school resource officers, provided through the Sheridan County Sheriff's Office, after the first of the year.

District 1 Superintendent Pete Kilbride said trustees decided to fund the position in a meeting earlier this month.

Kilbride said after Jan. 1, the schools in Big Horn and Tongue River – which includes the schools in Ranchester and Dayton – will share a single school resource officer. He said the officer will spend two days each week on each side of the district.

Starting in August, Kilbride said, there will be one dedicated resource officer at the Big Horn schools and a second dedicated officer at the schools in Ranchester and Dayton.

He talked about the duties of the school resource officers.

He said especially in the elementary schools, the resource officers will also be used to put a friendly face on law enforcement.

He said other details will be worked out with the sheriff's office, with the goal being protection of the school district's students and staff. He said the district would like the officers to be a presence at some of the district's ball games and other events to provide an added layer of safety.

Kilbride said the school district will pay 83 percent of the resource officers' salaries and benefits, about $75,000 per officer. He said Sheridan County would pay the remaining 17 percent, which represents the summer hours when school isn't in session and the resource officers aren't needed by the district.