Top Johnson County Stories of 2013: January-March

This week we will be looking back at the top stories of 2013 that happened in Johnson County.

Today we will look at the stories from January through March of 2013.

The year started with the swearing-in of two city councilmen and a county commissioner.

City Councilman Bill Hawley was elected to another term and newcomer Dave Long was sworn into office after winning his seat in the November elections.
In the county commission race, newcomer Jim Hicks defeated incumbent Albert “Smokey” Wildeman and was sworn into office in January as well.

Bighorn National Forest Supervisor Bill Bass and Powder River District Ranger Mark Booth spoke with the Johnson County Commissioners last January to urge them to access Fire Suppression Funds through the State of Wyoming for help in paying for 2012's Gilead Fire.
The USFS and BHNF entered into Cost Share Negotiations with local and state entities to help in the costs of fire suppression. The Johnson County Fire Board offered $250,000 and the state offered $200,000 toward the more than $3.3 million in costs on the Gilead Fire alone.

Buffalo Fire crews responded to a report of a structure fire at 4am January 25th at Joy Appliance and Video in Buffalo.
15 firefighters responded and found the interior in flames and proceeded to put out the fire. There was “extensive” damage to the interior and contents of the building.
Arrests were made the following Monday in connection with the fire. Joseph Kelly, age 20 and Benjamin Kent , age 21 were held at the Johnson County Justice Center on charges of Arson in the third degree.
A high-speed chase February 27th from Buffalo southbound on Interstate 25 ended in a crash and the vehicles' occupants taken to the Johnson County Healthcare Center.
The chase began with a report of a vehicle hitting a fence at a convenience store. The vehicle was reported to have been driven by a young male juvenile. Buffalo Police attempted to pull the vehicle over but the driver fled at a high rate of speed onto Interstate 25. The chase continued south to Reno Road where the driver eventually lost control and crashed the vehicle. The investigation found the vehicle had been stolen in Montana.

A home located at Parmalee and Cummings Avenue in Buffalo was cordoned off the morning of March 22nd as Buffalo Police were investigating reports of a domestic dispute with shots fired.
Buffalo Police Chief Jason Carder said one male suspect was arrested for aggravated assault and attempted murder.